Prep time: 20 minutes, cook time: 30 minutes, Serves: 8
1 ½ tsp turmeric, divided
2 tsp chili powder
1 ¼ tsp salt, divided
2 lbs. cod, cut in large pieces
3 tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger, grated
4 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
5 whole cloves
5 cardamom pods
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
2 cups water
1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded & chopped
4 tbsp. cilantro, chopped, divided
1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
3 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed & drained
- In a small bowl, combine ½ teaspoon turmeric, chili powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Sprinkle over fish and let sit 20 minutes.
- Add the butter to the cooking pot and set to sauté on medium heat. Add onion and
cook until soft.
- Add ginger along with all the remaining spices and cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the fish and cook, stirring gently, until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
Transfer fish to a plate and turn off the sauté mode.
- Add the water and coconut milk, and stir, scraping up any brown bits from the
bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes, 3 tablespoons cilantro, and mint, stir to mix.
- Sprinkle the rice on top and stir gently to make sure it is covered with liquid. Add
the lid and set to pressure cook on high. Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, use natural release to remove the lid. All of the liquid
should be absorbed, if not, cook another 5 minutes.
- To serve, fluff the rice and discard whole spices, spoon onto plates, top with fish
and chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 465, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbs 60g, Net Carbs 55g, Protein 24g, Sugar 3g,
Sodium 774mg, Potassium 679mg, Phosphorus 603mg